Scratch

Who better to talk to us about the “Scratch’ coding program and website than the creator himself…

Computer coding for the young and old! An innovative concept and very inspiring speech I thought.

Now, an insight into my own personal experience with Scratch as my next university course EDP4130 coaxes me to explore further the Australian National Curriculum and the prospect of teaching technology within it.

I have to admit to having reservations about exploring the Scratch program but once I started to ‘play around’, as that is exactly how it felt, I began to relax a little. I managed 3 out of the 4 expected course activities and then decided, as my confidence had grown, to explore the program a little further and create something different to the last task that was set. I was inspired!

Below you can see a screen shot of the Etch-A-Sketch game I made in Scratch and its accompanying, distinctive blocks of coloured code that snap together enabling the program to run.

Etch-A-sSketch

Click on the image of Scratch above to play the Etch-A-Sketch game

E-a-S code

There were times I must admit to feelings of frustration while working within the Scratch program and I did utilise a fair bit of ‘trial and error’ on my creative journey. However, sweet success and a sense of achievement was mine to be had at the end.

So, where exactly might a program like Scratch fit into the national curriculum documents I ask myself? It seems that the answer to that question would be for Year 5 and 6 children under the Design and Implementing strands of the Scope and Sequence for Digital Technologies 6.5, 6.6 and 6.7.

In regard to instructing children in the classroom to code. Am I ready? Let’s just say I will be definitely needing a bit more practice in this particular area of technology and that the children in Year 5, at this moment in time, could probably teach me a thing or two about coding! However, whoever said there was anything wrong in learning together? As a prospect for an aspiring teacher it’s one I actually look forward to.

ladybug.scratch

This little ladybug animation swirls and bounces from one edge of the screen to the other and was very simple and fun to create using the Scratch program. Are you tempted to create a Scratch animation? If I can do it so can you…